Bowers & Wilkins, based in downtown Redwood City, is looking for a Sr. Visual Designer to be a part of building the most innovative audio/video and home automation systems the world has yet to see. Our team is a unique set of people who love and embrace the rich heritage of the brand but quite literally defy the status quo of what is available in the market today. If you are a passionate designer and want to be part of an amazing brand with a bottoms-up culture while creating the world’s first product of its kind, let’s talk.
Our founder, John Bowers, started this company in 1966 with a single loudspeaker and the vision, “if you create a better product, you will sell it.” Today, we are the market leaders in the premium audio category and are used by musicians and producers in the best studios in the world, from Abbey Road to Skywalker Studios. In May 2016, we ushered in a new era for Bowers & Wilkins through an acquisition by Silicon Valley startup, Eva Automation, led by Gideon Yu. Combining Eva’s culture of fast-paced technology innovation and the audio heritage of Bowers & Wilkins will allow us to create fantastic home entertainment experiences that make it easier and better for people to use the products they love.
Bowers & Wilkins is seeking an EXPERIENCED Senior Visual Designer with broad knowledge and advanced skills in visual design, user experience, and user interface for software/applications. We need a team player who can turn a variety of requirements into clear and simple solutions. While it's preferred that you have some consumer electronic experience, we're really looking for someone who can help think through challenging problems, understand the user, embrace simplicity, and exude passion for design excellence to deliver solutions inspired by a deep desire to create emotionally compelling branded experiences. We need you, if you are a humble expert; if you can effectively engage in projects from concept to production, nail the details, and enjoy learning from and collaborating with other designers, software engineers, and product managers to deliver compelling experiences. You must be able to articulate design decisions and tell stories with impeccable visual fidelity. You’ll work closely with Product Managers, Engineers and other Designers always with an eye towards empathizing with the user and making their life better and more beautiful.
Come join a small team making a big impact.
• Work collaboratively with other designers, product managers, engineers and QA
• Effectively define and apply visual design strategies across multiple screens and interfaces (TV, remote, mobile UIs, web)
• Set and manage key stakeholder expectations via effective and clear communication of vision, goals, plans, risks, concepts, options, pros, and cons
• Translate a variety of requirements into clear and simple design solutions
• Define, deliver, document, and maintain a holistic visual branded design language across TV, web, and mobile • Collaborate to identify and define new concepts
• Define and deliver a holistic visual design language
• Work with engineering to ensure design integrity
• Deliver work products that span all project phases from concept and design through to production (e.g., sketches, mockups, low and hi-fidelity comps, motion videos, specs, guidelines, and production-ready assets)
• Explore a variety of visual design directions in a rapid iterative fashion
• Effectively and clearly communicate design ideas and concepts
• Handle a continually changing workload and shifting priorities
• Lead by example and drive improvement of our design culture (best practices, tools, deliverables, communications, relationships, etc.)
Experience / Qualifications:
The UX Design team is looking for an outstanding candidate possessing a combination of professional and technical skills.
• 10+ years of digital visual design experience
• Consumer electronic product design experience (TV, set top box, remote control, smartphone)
• Impeccable visual design foundation (typography, color, layout, etc.)
• Strong experience working with interactive content and efficient at creating production-ready artwork and assets
• Capable self-starter, self-motivated, able to work independently, prioritize effectively, and perform multiple tasks under minimal supervision
• A humble expert with an open-mind who knows that great ideas come from anyone and enjoys learning from and collaborating with others to deliver best-in-class experiences
• Desire and ability to nail the details and stay highly organized is critical
• Ability to see an assignment through many iterations and rounds of refinement
• Ability to see an assignment through to completion in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to deal with ambiguity and achieve good results on a tight deadline
• Ability to successfully juggle multiple, varying assignments and prioritize effectively
• Proficiency with leading design software (e.g., Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.)
• BA or Masters degree in User Interface Design or related studies
• Portfolio with projects demonstrating process (conceptualization through realization)
• Avid user of audio / video equipment including televisions, AV receivers, internet streaming devices, cable boxes, universal remote controls and audio streaming
• Avid and/or passionate about home automation
A competitive cash compensation package is associated with this position. In addition, Restricted Stock Units have been reserved for this position.
Beautiful office in sunny Redwood City
Health, Dental and Vision benefits without any out of pocket costs
$150 monthly gym reimbursement
Catered lunches, and a variety of free snacks and drink
Discounted Bowers & Wilkins premium products
John Bowers founded Bowers & Wilkins in 1966 with a single loudspeaker and the vision, “if you create a better product, you will sell it.” Today, we are the market leaders in the premium audio category and are used by musicians and producers in the best studios in the world, from Abbey Road to Skywalker Studios. In May 2016, we ushered in a new era through an acquisition by Silicon Valley startup, EVA Automation, led by Gideon Yu. Combining EVA’s culture of fast-paced technology innovation and the audio heritage of Bowers & Wilkins will allow us to create fantastic home entertainment experiences that make it easier and better for people to use the products they love. We are currently looking for employees across several divisions to be a part of building the most innovative audio and visual systems the world has yet to see.